Frameless kitchen cabinets have gained immense popularity in recent years! As the trend towards open-concept kitchens and contemporary designs has vastly increased, so has the demand for European-style cabinets. How are these cabinets installed, why are they perfect for your kitchen, and how can you maintain them for increased longevity? Let’s find out!
Table of Contents
Frameless Kitchen Cabinets – A Sneak Peek!
Frameless cabinets, also known as 32-mm system or European-style cabinets, have been popular in Europe since the mid-20th century. These cabinets were fashioned after WW2 when there was a shortage of lumbar, which explains their construction with minimal wood. However, due to their many advantages, these frameless cabinets became a favorable choice in the US by the 1980s and are still trending.
Before we discuss frameless kitchen cabinets, let’s take a look at why they are preferred over framed kitchen cabinets. Frameless cabinets are considered the epitome of contemporary design kitchens!
Frameless Kitchen Cabinets vs Framed Kitchen Cabinets
Who wouldn’t want cabinets that can keep the kitchen spick & span and uncluttered? Fortunately, as frameless cabinets lack a face frame, their doors and drawers are directly attached to the cabinet box. Moreover, their hinges are hidden, and the doors have a flush fit, which is why they not only appear modern and sleek but also offer more interior space for storage.
Whereas, framed kitchen cabinets come with face-framing stiles and rails, and offer strength to the cabinet structure for high durability. These cabinets should be used in larger kitchen spaces as they take up more space and have a more traditional look.
Frameless Cabinets Installation
When it comes to the installation of frameless cabinets, one thing that holds the utmost importance is to remember that precision is key, so there is a minimal chance of error. And to avoid any damages and fatal mistakes, it is best to hire a professional to install these cabinets for you.
Frameless cabinets are installed by attaching the cabinet boxes directly to the wall using screws and brackets. Hinges are attached directly to the sides of the cabinet boxes while the cabinet doors fit snugly against the cabinet sides, creating a flush look.
Before installing these cabinets, you must create a comprehensive layout that will act as a guideline for your project. You can use a pencil to draw the uppers and lowers as well as the control lines. Some professionals start by writing individual box dimensions on the walls to make sure that the design and area conditions are in order.
Remember that it is recommended to start by installing the upper cabinets first so that the lower ones do not cause any hindrance. And while you’re at it, screw a 2-inch or 3-inch wooden board along your layout so you can rest your cabinet. No need to worry; once the upper cabinets are installed, you can remove the board and fill the holes with wood putty, spackling, or wall joint compound.
Are Frameless Cabinets Harder To Install?
Yes, frameless cabinets are more challenging to install as they require exact measurements and precision cutting. Since these cabinets lack the support and structure provided by the frame, they require sturdy wall attachments and additional bracing to ensure stability. Moreover, if you want a seamless installation, the chances of error should be zero to none.
How Do You Install Frameless Cabinet Doors?
For frameless cabinet door installation, you need to:
- Prepare the cabinet opening to ensure the correct levels.
- Measure and cut the hinge mortise according to your dimensions.
- Attach the hinges by securing them to the door.
- Install the door handles and knobs.
- Make any final adjustments for a smooth and even operation.
Need a hand with your cabinet installation? We’re just a call away!
Benefits Of Using Frameless Kitchen Cabinets
Frameless kitchen cabinets are highly trending because they have too much to offer, especially if you have a small space!
- Frameless cabinets offer a full-depth interior giving you a lot of space. This means you get a spotless kitchen with clean aesthetics even if you have a lot going on!
- Since cabinet doors are directly mounted to the cabinet box, the customization options with frameless cabinets are infinite. You can choose multiple variations of materials, cabinet accessories, colors & finishes.
- Due to fewer nooks and crannies, these cabinets are low maintenance, so you only need to designate a part of the weekend to keep them clean!
- Frameless cabinets lack frames and intricate designs, so you can eliminate wasted space and give your kitchen an elegant look, even if it is small.
- Sturdy & accurately designed frameless kitchen cabinets can increase the real estate value of your house.
Since no center stiles can get in your way, it is easy to mount shelves in frameless cabinets. In fact, if you are ever in the mood for a creative kitchen remodel, you can remove the doors of your frameless cabinets to convert them into open shelves!
Frameless Cabinets – Maintenance Guide
Since more and more people are investing in European-style cabinets, here’s a comprehensive guide that can help you increase the lifetime of your frameless kitchen cabinets.
- Clean your cabinets regularly! Wipe down the cabinet exteriors with a damp cloth and mild soap to remove any dust, grime, or spills.
- Protect your cabinets from moisture! Avoid exposing frameless cabinets to excessive moisture, which can cause warping or swelling.
- Avoid abrasive cleaners and abrasive cleaning! Make sure to use gentle cleaning products to avoid chafing and damaging the surface of your cabinets.
- Fix the damages promptly! If a cabinet door or hinge is damaged, repair it instantly to prevent further damage.
- Oil the hardware! For optimal functionality and smooth movement, it is important to lubricate cabinet/drawer hinges and slides!
- Store heavy items carefully! If you want your cabinets to last a lifetime, avoid overloading the shelves and putting too much weight on the cabinets, as it can cause damage over time.
Choosing frameless cabinetry for your kitchen is a personal choice. If you want a sleek & elegant kitchen but suffer at the hand of compact space, you can make the most of frameless kitchen cabinets.
Yes, frameless cabinets can cost you more than framed cabinets, as their designs require dense materials and precision in the manufacturing process.
Takeaway – Frameless Kitchen Cabinets – Installation, Benefits & Maintenance
Frameless kitchen cabinets can add a lot of value to your kitchen both in terms of aesthetics and functionality! That being said, whether you choose framed cabinets or frameless once, the only way you can make the most of your cabinetry is if it is properly installed and religiously taken care of!